Awards & Recognition
School board service is a tough and often thankless job. But AASB works to recognize boards and board members who go above and beyond the call of duty with a variety of programs.
- All-State School Board Members – commends up to five past or present school board members across the state who have exhibited exemplary
boardmanship. Nominations are accepted in the early fall, and winners are announced during AASB's convention in December. For more information,
contact Leadership Development. Nomination Forms and Guidelines are available online.
- Master School Board Member – recognizes board members who have completed all four levels of the AASB School Board Member Academy and
continue their training from year to year. Their accomplishment is recognized at AASB's annual convention in December. For information, contact
the AASB Membership Services Coordinator.
- Master Honor Roll – recognizes board members who have earned Master School Board Member Status five consecutive years. They also are
honored during AASB's annual Convention in December. For more information, contact the AASB Membership Services Coordinator.
- President's Award - recognizes school boards that have had 60 percent or more of their members attend at least three AASB conferences
in an academy year and, in that same year, have had all members of their boards meet state-mandated training requirements.
The award is presented at the Fall AASB District Meetings.
- School Board Member Recognition Month – School board members devote countless hours to making sure their local schools help every child learn at a higher level and to give citizens a voice in education decision making. To acknowledge boards’ hard work, public school systems across the state celebrate School Board Member Recognition Month each January and honor local board members with thank-you letters, certificates and events for their commitment to Alabama’s schoolchildren. Click here for the School Board Member Recognition Toolkit. For more information, contact the AASB Public Relations Director or call 334.277.9700.