January is School Board Recognition Month
January is Alabama's 27th Annual School Board Member Recognition Month. Schools, employers, community leaders and education supporters across Alabama will salute the state's more than 800 school board members. Use our toolkit to celebrate.
SCHOOL BOARD MEMBER RECOGNITION MONTH
The Alabama Association of School Boards is asking you to help us celebrate school board members' service. January is Alabama's 27th Annual School Board
Member Recognition Month.
Throughout the month, schools, employers, community leaders and education supporters across the state will salute more than 800 local school board members. AASB is providing a convenient toolkit for any education supporter to use as a guide to honor the dedicated men and women who serve on Alabama's school boards.
AASB’s School Board Member Recognition Month Kit includes an array of materials to help you honor school board members for their commitment to the children of your community. Refer to the memo or letter for the school board president, the principal, the superintendent or the chamber/business executive for details.
This toolkit includes:
- Color logos, png and jpg
- A template for customizable certificates for city & county school boards (in Microsoft Word and as a pdf)
- A template for customizable certificates for special school boards (in Microsoft Word
and as a pdf)
- A sample editorial to mail
to local newspapers
- A sample “Thank You” letter to send to board members’ employers
- A sample resolution for
use by local organizations and governing bodies
- A list of creative suggestions and tips for
honoring board members
- Advertisements to use in school and
community newsletters and publications
- Scripts for radio public service announcements
- Suggestions for messages to put on schools’ and businesses’ marquees, electronic signs or to send using social media
- A customizable press release announcing Board Member Recognition Month that could also be used in newsletters and newspapers
- Facebook Cover, Twitter Header, Facebook post, Twitter post
Superintendents are asked to personalize and print certificates for each school board member and give them to the board president for distribution at the January board meeting.
AASB encourages medium-to-large school systems to consider coordinating events among the school so that neither the schools nor the board members are overwhelmed with activities during the month.