Hiring Entity: Dothan City Board of Education
Job Brochure: View Online
Search Posted: 04-Feb-2021
Application Deadline: 02-Mar-2021
Job Search Feed: Click for RSS Link
The Dothan City Board of Education is accepting applications for the position of Superintendent of Education for Dothan City Schools. The City of Dothan is the largest city in southeast Alabama, and is a cultural, recreational, retail, and medical hub for the surrounding area. The Dothan City School System serves approximately 8,200 preschool age through twelfth-grade students who reside in the City of Dothan.
The Superintendent will serve as the Chief Executive Officer of Dothan City Schools and secretary to the Board of Education. Additionally, the Superintendent will carry out those duties set forth in Section 16-12-3, Ala. Code 1975, as amended, will carry out those duties and responsibilities set forth in the attached job description, and will carry out all other such duties assigned to him or her by the Board of Education.
The Superintendent will be chosen for general fitness and character as well as knowledge and experience in school administration. The successful candidate must:
(1) hold, or be eligible to hold, an Alabama certificate in administration and supervision;
(2) hold a degree from a recognized four-year college or university;
(3) hold at least a master’s degree in administration and supervision and/or educational leadership or substantially similar degree;
(4) have at least 3 years of experience as a teacher, principal, supervisor, educational administrator or instructor in school administration during the previous 5 years;
(5) be knowledgeable of school administration; and
(6) have not less than 5 years of experience in public school work.
The Board prefers that the successful candidate will reside in the city of Dothan, and will enroll his or her school-aged children in the Dothan City School system, unless there are extenuating circumstances.
The Board prefers a candidate with experience in one or more of the initiatives or programs mentioned above, or in initiatives or programs of a similar nature. Also, the Board prefers candidates who display and/or who possess characteristics indicating an interest in longevity in the position.
The Board is seeking a leader with strong interpersonal and leadership skills to manage the system effectively and efficiently. Desired traits and skills include:
(1) good character, moral standing, and personal integrity;
(2) strong organizational and leadership skills;
(3) strong financial management skills and experience;
(4) strong student orientation, recognizing that the school system exists to facilitate
student learning and development;
(5) ability to view all aspects of issues and to deal fairly when views differ from his or her own;
(6) ability to work with people from varying backgrounds and with varying interests;
(7) ability to delegate effectively;
(8) demonstrated knowledge of educational research and methods;
(9) ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
(10) ability to work as a team member with parents, students, administrators, other personnel, Board members, local officials, the media, and other stakeholders;
(11) ability to devise and implement long range planning;
(12) experience in problem solving and in devising and recommending solutions to problems; and
(13) ability to evaluate personnel and programs fairly, efficiently, and effectively.
The salary range for this position is between $135,000 and $175,000, but is negotiable based on the successful candidate’s experience and demonstrated success.
The application deadline is March 2, 2021
How to Apply
Interested candidates shall submit the information required to apply for this position to:
Kevin Walding, Esq., Hardwick, Hause, Segrest & Walding
212 North Lena Street
Dothan, Alabama 36301
Interested candidates may submit the information required by United States Mail, by other carrier or delivery service (such as FedEx, UPS, or other private carrier), or by hand delivery. No application packets will be accepted by FAX or email. A hard copy of your application packet must be received by the application deadline.
See complete job brochure for additional requirements and information.
Last Updated 04-Feb-2021 05:30 PM